Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat    FAQ

Portal » Board index » Public » Pictures, Movies, TV, and Books

Post subject: True Blood on HBO
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am 

Anybody seen this series? I have the first two shows tivo'd, but wondering if I would be wasting my time.

Post subject: Re: True Blood on HBO
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Admin

I watched the first episode, it was ok but I wouldn't really call it great. Basically it seems like they're just trying to get vampires having sex on screen and everything else is just filler.

It has promise but needs to grow quickly if they're going to keep interest. You've got the vampires but there's implications of werewolves out there as well and what looks like a few other things that go bump in the night.

“A few months ago, you assassinated a man who called himself a god; now you’re going after a goddess in truth. Unless you can figure out a way to kill continents, after this you’re going to have to retire.”

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:43 am 

Willie wrote:
I watched the first episode, it was ok but I wouldn't really call it great. Basically it seems like they're just trying to get vampires having sex on screen and everything else is just filler.

The vampire sex scene in episode 1 was pretty extreme. They actually significantly reduced that scene before it aired. There were two copies of the pilot floating around long before the episode aired and trust me, it was much worse. There is a lot more sex in episodes 2 and 3, but its just with Sookie's brother, Jason, and a living girl. It is pretty graphic, but it's HBO and it's made by Alan Ball and from what I've heard Six Feet Under was pretty bad too.

That being said, I love the show. I've read the books that it is based on which is probably why I like it so much. Season 1 is largely following the story arc of book 1, Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. I think the show is definitely getting better each episode, but again I'm biased because my favorite parts of the book haven't happened yet and I can't wait to see them on screen.

The show does have a lot of people faking southern accents which might annoy some people and some pretty obvious metaphors for current political issues (i.e. Vamp Rights = Gay Rights). The source material is a cheesy vampire romance, but so far, I think they've done a good job of bringing the humor of the book into the show.

HBO has actually already picked it up for a season 2 after airing only 2 episodes so fans of vampire TV shows can rest in peace this season knowing that they at least have 2 seasons to look forward to.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Yea Crystal and I watched most of Six Feet Under, we kind of lost interest around the last two seasons, and you're right it was about the same. Which of course reminds me that I need to start watching Dexter again, both Dexter and Doakes were in Six Feet Under.

Brenna wrote:
HBO has actually already picked it up for a season 2 after airing only 2 episodes so fans of vampire TV shows can rest in peace this season knowing that they at least have 2 seasons to look forward to.

Bleh, they should have kept Moonlight instead.

“A few months ago, you assassinated a man who called himself a god; now you’re going after a goddess in truth. Unless you can figure out a way to kill continents, after this you’re going to have to retire.”

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 am 

Willie wrote:
Bleh, they should have kept Moonlight instead.

I loved Moonlight too, but True Blood has the power of HBO behind it and not douchey CBS. ABC is also putting on a vampire show this year, but I don't really know much about it. CBS obviously didn't know what they had. At least CBS realized that the guy who played Mick is worth hanging on to. He's supposedly going to be in some new show for them.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:47 pm 

I've watched bits and pieces, it looks terrible. I think HBO is trying to maufacture interest .... enough already with the freaking Vampires. I was over it after Lost Boys.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 am 

Willie wrote:
It has promise but needs to grow quickly if they're going to keep interest. You've got the vampires but there's implications of werewolves out there as well and what looks like a few other things that go bump in the night.

I only watched episode 2, but is the pub owner the dog that we keep seeing (werewolvish)?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I've still only seen the first one and the opening of the second one, when she's getting beaten, but that's what I figure.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:48 am 

cuz3 wrote:
I only watched episode 2, but is the pub owner the dog that we keep seeing (werewolvish)?

In episode 3, they try to confuse the situation, but more than likely, yes it is the bar's owner and he's a shapeshifter.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 am 

Zyzzyx wrote:
I think HBO is trying to maufacture interest .... enough already with the freaking Vampires. I was over it after Lost Boys.

HBO has pretty much been whoring the show out for months now. The synthetic blood beverage Tru Blood sponsored Comic Con and they had people walking around San Diego passing out "Equal Rights for Vampires" flyers. I imagine that some people were pretty confused.

And some of us were too young to appreciate Lost Boys, so we need new vampires to appreciate. :P

Portal » Board index » Public » Pictures, Movies, TV, and Books